Getting married in a foreign country seems to be a marvelous experience, especially if it takes place at a beautiful landscape. This is the dream of lovers who meet during their vacation in the most romantic part of the world, like Hawaii, Tahiti, or in the Caribbean islands.
- Most marriages are considered to be valid abroad if they were legally performed in another country.
- However, if you want to inquire about the validity of a marriage which was performed abroad, it is recommended to consult with the attorney in your home country. But it is possible to get married in a foreign country? Will the marriage be legal in your home country? Read and learn about getting married in a foreign country.
Necessary documents for a marriage
Each country has its own marriage laws. It is possible for you to get married abroad if you have:
- A valid passport,
- A birth certificate,
- Blood test,
- Medical test,
- Proof of residency if you reside in the country.
It is crucial to check the marriage laws in the country where you plan to get married, though. In France, for example, it is necessary for the couple to have resided for a month and a half before they can be legally married.
Getting married in another country
In general, marriages in a foreign country may be performed by either:
- Local or a foreign civil officials, who perform the civil wedding ceremony,
- Or religious officials, who are in charge of the religious wedding ceremony.
In fact, the civil and religious officers authenticate foreign marriage documents.
As a rule, the civil wedding ceremony does not take place on the premises of an embassy or a consulate, but it may take place in other venues.
The local laws determine the validity of the marriage, rather than the embassy or the consulate. Therefore, you should carefully check the laws and regulations concerning your marriage abroad to avoid wasting time and money.
Laws governing the permission to get married abroad
Before you perform any ceremony, it is a good idea to consult with the local embassy or the local tourist information bureau about the laws and regulations concerning how to get married broad.
Here are some basic requirements:
- Documentation and authentication: For most countries, the requirements include (a valid passport, a birth certificates, divorce decrees, death certificates). Official translations of the original documents are required before they are given to the marriage register if your native language differs from that of the host country. It is mandatory to have the documents authenticated by the consular official. For this, you have to wait longer and may spend much money.
- Residency requirements: One of the requirements for a valid marriage broad is residency. If you are a permanent resident, or if you have been living in the country for some years, you can legally get married there.
- Affidavit of marriage eligibility: The written statement confirming the eligibility of the two parties to get married should be authenticated by an official. The fee for the legal certification of the affidavit has to be paid.
- Two or four witnesses are required to execute affidavits for the two parties, confirming that they agree to be married at their own consent.
- Blood test is required in many countries, particularly in the United States.
Getting married abroad
Getting married abroad is a fantastic experience and will be among the most unforgettable moments in your life. It is quite possible to get married in a foreign country as long as you meet the requirements of the country. Beside this, it is a good precaution to carefully inquire about the marriage laws and validity before you get married in a foreign country.
To spend your honeymoon after your wedding, it is a good idea to travel to the most exotic destination in the world. You can find the best destination through an online agency like Opodo. You can also book your flight and accommodation to your wedding venue and honeymoon destination through Opodo.